Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Way UP!


Few musicians in any strand of music can truly be called artists. Fewer still are truly triple threat composer/technician/performers. Pat Metheny is one such musician. He appears on the Mt. Rushmore of jazz guitarists of the last 35 years. And truly he is a joy to much— my toddler has been watching and listening to him since she was 6 months old and can actually identify his playing on CDs...

I myself have found myself pilfering a riff or two of his while soloing on bass...and I very quickly feel embarrassed for attempting such master class musicianship when I'm so decidedly not in his stratosphere...

Anyways this sketch was done on lunch while listening to his CD "The Way Up"....I once had a friend of mine say, " You know why every picture of Pat has him smiling? because he's the best @$!*!! guitar player on the planet!" I'd say he's simply one of the greatest artists on the planet. Period.

8 comments:

Abz said...

Haha, yea man- the prince is a bit sleazy, lets be honest. I should be working on the princess soon-- so keep an eye out for that. I like this sketch here... can wait for ur next piece.

Cheers dude

lincoln said...

Thanks! Metheny has very unique mannerisms when he performs. I recommend youtubing the song "As it Is" find the live one and and watch it through to the end...!

Abz said...

lol, just did. Crazy fella! I like how u draw with music- i do too. This piece has been playing on repeat- and its inspiring, check it out; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jXbFw3DerA

lincoln said...

Music in general really effects my mood and I often choose music that best fits the subject matter I'm working with..

Abz said...

Thats awesome man...your trio sounds pretty sweet! Great stuff... you'll be topping the charts soon enough! Something I've always wanted to do (a pop star...haha!)

Keep it up man. Talent runs through your veins.

lincoln said...

HA! I don't think I've got the mug for being a pop-star!

ENG GUY said...

I just stumbled upon this and I think it's fantastic! You really captured the essence of Metheny in full flight. Nice work

Unknown said...

Nice work. Meth Head for life. I have every Pat album and saw the trio 4 years ago in fayetville, Ark. the trio was mcbride, metheny, and last but not least the sanchez..