Monday, August 23, 2010

Mr. Mayor...a successful self promo?



Almost two years ago now I came up with the idea of a self-promo for portraiture. I emailed the Mayor's office in the city where I live and offered to paint the portrait of the Mayor free of charge as a gift to the city. I suggested it would be another successful way that the Mayor's office could support local artists.In return it would give me a great portfolio piece and also some good PR depending on where the painting would hang and how well it would be covered in an unveiling ceremony.

Well, the painting didn't take two years to complete. Actually, it's been done for almost a year and a half, but it has taken some time for the Mayor's office to figure out exactly what they were going to do with it. And I suspect they've had bigger fish to fry...

But today I've been told it will go up at the Mayor's former elementary school where a gym was dedicated in his name. Here's hoping the paper and maybe even the TV will cover the unveiling...

3 comments:

Desiree said...

Cool! What a neat little idea!
I checked out your character design page too - very, very cool :)

Tooninator said...

that's a fantastic painting. He looks epic.

Good promo too ;) Nothing wrong with a little self-promotion

Nikolas Ilic said...

amazing painting!!! nothing else to be said.